The Albornoz Fortress located at the top of the highest hill offers a suggestive panoramic view of the old town of Urbino. The surrounding landscape makes it a work of great historical and scenic interest.
The Fortress gets its name from the Cardinal Albornoz who ordered its construction in the mid-fourteenth century. The old fortress was destroyed by insurgents in 1571 and rebuilt the following year. From 1858 to 1860 it was used as a border fortress between the states of the Church and those of the Savoy.
Since 1975 the wide space is used as a public park, dedicated to the Italian Resistance Movement.
Today Albornoz Fortress houses the “Bella Gerit Museum”, with archaeological finds and war equipment in use between 1300 and 1500.