Church of San Domenico

interno chiesa San Domenico

In the Renaissance Square, in front of the long side of the Ducal Palace, adorned with elegant mullioned windows, lies the church of San Domenico, erected in 1365 in Gothic style.

The magnificent Renaissance portal in travertine was made in 1450 by Tommaso di Bartolomeo, known as Masaccio. It has a small porch with fluted columns topped with Corinthian capital; in the lunette, lies the copy of the terracotta by Luca della Robbia “Madonna with Child and Saints”, the original one  is exposed in the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche. The interior of the church was transformed in 1737 by the architect Filippo Barigioni from Urbino, perhaps with suggestions of Vanvitelli, with the contribution of Benedict XIII and the involvement of Cardinal Annibale Albani,.